Saturday, April 9, 2011

Earth Day Art Challenge

Last week I answered a call for art for an Earth Day Art Challenge with the Muse in Frederick. The challenge was to create a piece of art using entirely recycled items. Since I happen to enjoy working with jewelry, I decided to create a piece of jewelry using vintage jewelry and buttons. I am happy to say that the bracelet I created was accepted for the Earth Day Exhibit!

Here are photos of the vintage pieces that I used to create my "new" bracelet.



I enjoyed the challenge of using vintage jewelry pieces and buttons to create something new. I always like the idea that someone else wore the jewelry in another place and in another time. The buttons are from a collection that I inherited from my husband's great Aunt Marguerite.  Aunt Marguerite was a talented artist herself and loved anything crafty, so I know that she would enjoy that fact that her buttons are living on in the artistic world. I have used her buttons in mixed media collage and as decorative embellishments on clothing.  She had an amazing talent of carving birds from wood. I will have to take photo's of her work and share them with you in a future post.

So, here is the final result of combining all these separate pieces together.

There is an artist reception next week at The Muse from 5-7 on Saturday night the 16th. I will make sure to bring my camera so I can share some of the other recycled art pieces with you.

4 comments:

Allison said...

It turned out really cool! Love that Aunt Marguerite's buttons are seeing new life! Hope you have fun at the Earth Day festivities!

stacie said...

Thanks Allison. Can't wait for class on Wednesday! I'll have to bring my camera so I can do a post about it.

Renee said...

very cool! Can't wait until Wednesday!

Faith said...

Congratulations, the bracelet is lovely!! Such a great use of recycled things! xo