Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Faith Evans-Sills - Artist of Week


Everything is Beautiful

Faith is a painter, labor support doula and creator of Leaves and Feathers, her Etsy shop.  She lives in New York City with her husband and two children. Her son is almost 6 years old and her daughter is 3 and 1/2. Faith started painting in High School and then more seriously in college.  As a busy Mom myself I can appreciate the challenges as well as the inspiration that she encounters being a working Mom.  If you'd like to read more about what Faith experiences as a working mother, take some time to read her recent interview on Art Biz Mama.

Faith's artwork truly portrays beauty and a message of serenity and giving.  When I first discovered Faith's work, I felt a sense of peace and calm as I scrolled through all her beautiful paintings. To read more about Faith and her amazing work, visit her Leaves and Feathers blog.
Strength and Beauty Surround You
I love the mix of bright color and soft earthy tones that she uses to create her paintings.  They all seem to tell a story and carry a positive message.  If you'd like to see more of Faith's paintings, view her Etsy shop; Leaves and Feathers. She just released her 2011 calendar full of her wonderful artwork.  So if you are looking for an inspirational calendar for your studio, this may be the one!


Leaves and Feathers 2011 Calendar
When I asked Faith what her favorite part of creating her art is, she responded with, "My most favorite part of making my art is the thrill of seeing the actualization of my ideas into a concrete form. I never tire of taking an image from the spark of an idea through to a finished painting. With all of my images I am working with botanical imagery that become metaphors for emotions and contain a personal iconography, with the titles of my paintings I offer an idea of what the image means and then I give the viewer space in which to bring their own meaning to the piece. This leads to my second favorite part of creating my work, which is when people respond to, and resonate with, those ideas that I have given form to...this is bliss for me and just never gets old."
Blessings
 
If creating beautiful art isn't enough, Faith also is a professionally trained labor support doula who offers support to women and their families through out pregnancy and birth.  I wasn't familiar with the term doula before I read about it on Faith's blog.  "Doula" is an ancient Greek work meaning "handmaiden". If you'd like to find out more about this interesting practice, read Faith's blog about birth doula service.

I hope you enjoyed getting to know Faith and her artwork as much as I did.  Thanks so much for stopping by!  See you Friday. Stacie

2 comments:

Dyan said...

Stacie I love Faith's art too! It makes me feel so serene and peaceful when I visit her blog and there's also this uplifting energy of joy that comes through. Enjoyed reading this feature!

stacie said...

Thanks Dyan. I'd love to get one of her calendars for my studio...maybe a Christmas gift for myself!