Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Kaci Lorance - Artist of the Week

Spirit Doll
I thought featuring Kaci Lorance's Art Dolls would be perfect for Halloween week!  Especially after I saw her Spirit Doll she listed on her esty shop!

Not all of Kaci's Art Dolls are quite so spooky!  Kaci is a Fashion Design graduate from Brooks College in Long Beach, California.  She currently lives in Ventura, California where she grew up.  Kaci found her love of dolls by making cloth dolls with her grandma as a kid out of odd socks.  She started getting into the more complex and artistic art dolls as an adult about 3 or 4 years ago. 

You can find a few of Kaci's Art Dolls for sale on her etsy shop Daydream Retreat.   
OOAK Art doll - Rilo

5X5 Original Fabric Collage
Kaci also works with other mixed media types like the Fabric Collage pictured above.  She plans to branch out further and create some more functional items with her images such as journal covers and jewelry boxes.  When I asked Kaci what is her favorite part about making Art Dolls, she answered; "My mind works best with dimension, for example in fashion school I was great at draping patterns on a dress form but couldn't flat pattern draft to save my life. As much as I would like to be a painter, it's just not a strength of mine and creating these little figures just feels natural. I also love the diversity, you can work with various types of clay, paint, wire, fabric, yarns, fibers, fabrics, and found objects all in one piece. I'm a fashion designer, make-up artist, and hairdresser all in one and there are no limitations except your imagination."


Kaci's "Sprout" doll was selected by Art Doll magazine in the "Upcycled Doll" challenge and published in the Art Doll Quarterly issue released in January, 2010.
Sprout Doll Published in Art Doll Quarterly
If you'd like to read more about Kaci and her creative works, read her blog at Daydream Retreat Art dolls and Other Creative Explorations.

Thanks so much for joining me today.  I hope you have a wonderfully creative day!  See you on Friday.  Stacie

2 comments:

Allison said...

Fabric collage is really nice... I love that Kaci started out making dolls with her grandmother... I hope to leave that kind of legacy to my children and grandchildren ... one day!

stacie said...

I'm sure your kids will have tons of great crafting memories!